Thursday, March 11, 2010

Deconstruct yourself, deprogram your mind.



The sun was out today, but yesterday, the St Kilda night market was cancelled in fear of today's bad weather.

"We do not believe that it is in the best interest of the Market or the Traders (particularly the food traders), to hold another wet weather evening. High winds are forecast and warnings have been issued. It has been an unfortunate season for weather, for us all and we hope the weather patterns will be kinder to us next season."

It so happened as I drove home that a radio presenter commented on how sophisticated weather bureaus were these days and how they never got it (the weather) wrong anymore. He went further to say that he remembered in days gone past when people could not trust weather reports, that they were always wrong, but that was something the young people of today would know nothing about, right listeners? They always get it right now! What with technology so advanced, how could they ever get it wrong? When did this happen? I'm sure at sometime last year or the year before I would have heard someone curse at a weather presenter or bureau for getting it wrong.

The presenters show was focussed on Climate Change and Climate Skepticism, primarily focused on the comments of the Chairman of the Board for the ABC who supposedly told journalists that worked for the organisation to give a greater voice to Climate Skepticism, he being Maurice Newman, according to the report a Climate Skeptic himself.

And so it is with opinions that I will quickly touch on my Political Science tutorial, one can get frustrated with the wide array of opinions people hold in the microcosm of society that is my Political Science tutorial. Even if students show that their opinions are in line with what you may yourself think, you cannot help but feel somewhat angered by them. At least in my opinion (the irony is not lost on me) with some people in class there seems to be a sense of; self pride, righteousness and ego associated with peoples opinions, there also seems to be an elitism that pervades some of the students opinions, feeling separate, higher and mightier than the rest of the population, separating themselves from the larger mass, potentially not realising that they themselves are part of it as well.

As I have said the irony of this entry does not elude me. Indeed recently a friend read my blog and called me a pretentious Jew. But how important do we do feel when we have a belief that we believe to be true. How clouded and shut off can we get to dissenting voices. I am right. You are wrong. It was the smugness of some peoples opinions that kept me quiet in class. Who am I to judge? Deconstruct yourself, deprogram your mind. How? More to come.

The photo above was taken by Guy Tillim.

No comments:

Post a Comment