Sunday, April 18, 2010

Complicity & Unease.




I went outside for a cigarette and it was hazy outside. As if all the air were thick with smoke. It was night so it was hard to see and I was not sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Did this happen to anybody else? I thought I might see something in the news about it, but nought.

I passed the evening working on a website, frustrated, and watched the first six parts of the documentary "Earthlings," a documentary very well worth watching, disturbing and somewhat sickening. The image of a dog being thrown into a rubbish compactor, sitting there, innocently, not knowing that in a few seconds it will be crushed to death. The concept of specisim is one I have now been introduced to and one that has become very interesting to me, in essence it is thinking the value of your species is of a higher order than another. Humans individuals, animals objects.

Apparently parts of the Amazon are to be dammed to cater to Brazil's ever increasing energy needs. An increasing economy, an increase in the demand for power, who are we to condemn, when we have unlimited power ourselves, when we are complicit. Though we still condemn, feel unease.

No comments:

Post a Comment